Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Managing Hyper-v server in a workgroup

Microsoft makes it very difficult to manage a standalone Hyper-v server in a workgroup but it is possible. The first thing you need to know is that you will need a Windows Vista machine to manage Hyper-v server. What Microsoft doesn’t make very clear is that machine will need to be Vista Business or Ultimate. Lucky for me my media pc is running Ultimate which is also how I discovered the OS needs to be “business class”. Lucky for you I’m here to walk you through the rest of setup process and get you VM’ing in a few simple steps.
I’m not going to walk through this step by step. There are other guides out there that do that, I just want to highlight getting Hyper-v working in a workgroup. So as I write this I am assuming you are here because you already read a ton, know the basics and are at a dead end.
You need to install the Hyper-v management utility found here
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952627
Next you will need to create a matching account on both machines. I know you can’t create a new account on the Hyper-v server so you need to create an administrator account on the Vista machine.
Oh you didn’t really try to create an administrator account did you? Yes one already exists we just need to enable it. Follow these instructions here on enabling the admin account on Vista.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/
Now set the password on the Vista machine so it matches your Hyper-v server.
Next we need to tackle to firewall, the easiest way to do this is to disable it completely, and after all you do have a real hardware firewall don’t you?
Disable the firewall on the Vista machine the normal way. To disable on the Hyper-v server open the command prompt (if you don’t know how please read my previous article). Now run this command
netsh firewall set opmode mode=DISABLE
From here we can bring up the management utility, it is located in administrative tools. Connect to your server by machine name. You should have named your machine when you were doing the initial setup. Once connected you should see something along the lines of “Access Denied” in the virtual machines window. Don’t worry, we have one last fix and you will be off creating virtual machines.
Scroll down on this website and follow the com instructions, although it looks like he is making these changes on the server and maybe he is, the changes made on the Vista machine did the trick for me. I wasn’t even going to try it because I thought to myself “Oh here we go with another fix aimed towards a full install of Server 2008 where you apply the fix to the server”. But much to my amazement it worked.
http://www.carbonwind.net/blog/post/2008/12/31/Hyper-V-Server-2008(workgroup)-managed-from-Hyper-V-MMC-Vista-x64(workgroup-too)-How-it-worked-for-me.aspx
The final instructions are as follows
1. Click Start, Run, type DCOMCNFG. Click OK.
2. Expand Component Services, expand Computers. Right-click on My Computer and click on Properties.
3. Click on COM Security.
4. In the Access Permission area, click Edit Limits.
5. Select ANONYMOUS LOGON in the Group or User Name area. Then set the Permissions for ANONYMOUS LOGON to Allow for Remote Access.

No comments:

Post a Comment